Monday 17 January 2011

January catch-up

Like katch-up shouldn't appear on mac & cheese when it's done justice, nor should the news when a month old. Yet here I am trying my best to keep an even keel when I've been moving way too much in a forward motion, in personal and working life changes. So I'll try to chronicle it for a while and keep track of the successes and near-misses. Call this a brainstorming session for the weekend edition.

Having always been a fairly scattered personality in my ideas when it comes to writing, photography, planning and everything else under the sun, I have grand intentions but never get 75% done. That had to change, and we've all said that before, just before procrastination hit. But now it's do or die because I realized I was able to get so much done over the past month. Everything except writing on this blog. Screw writers' block because we create messes so we can clean instead of getting to work on something that pays little usually. Enter the dynamite of the spring cleaning and I can't wait until the weather thaws out.

Looking for that illusive Loch Nessy of organized life I rolled up sleeves and got messy. Having planned out and followed through with vacation plans, I got a lot more done; even though I took three days planning and shooting a wedding for my friend (editing has been a harder task) and organizing my old files and papers from school days. My poor sister protested as I hauled up her stuff from school too.

The recycling box got over-loaded from 4 boxes of old assignments and crud and like-wise three boxes of photos hit the round editing basket. Why I kept all the blurry, ex-gf, bad composition and other photo mistakes was mostly a lack of time and guilty reminder that I needed to get better at my craft. It was an eye-opener of how much film I developed. I'm suitably scared to start doing the same to my 1000x's in digital files, but tough luck. It's called the delete button. Also found lots of gems buried in the rubble so that was encouraging.

My poor mother was fairly happy to get some basement storage back and embarked on her own purging of pre-school teaching stuff too. It was a good waltz down memory lane and I hope to digitalize them all in the spring so I can take them with me from Vic to Calgary. A road-trip is still a wistful idea, but will be a heck of a fun time if I can get everything in line to pull it off, including a car maintenance laundry list.
 
When I got back home I realized that wasn't so bad and went to work on the other stuff. Revamped my room organization because it was bugging me having no place to sort stuff. Put a 4x2ft plywood board on a bunch of milk crates and voila an editing table. Photos, mail, books & other crud was way easier to get at and sort away. Recycling bin is near by as well. So are plans to re-vitalize my website and photo sharing.

My computer was sluggish and disorganized so that's next. It got the customary yearly nuking back to basic install. All my files were safe on different partitions, but I did a back-up of photo and document files anyway. computer games disappeared and amazing how much I could done. If I could find a better labeling system that'd even be better so I'll look for some freeware. It's tearing me apart on deciding whether or not I re-install them. One game only is the deal as a reward for purging through stuff and staying to a time limit. Same to movies though that was hard to give up. I allowed to watch a few more if I keep writing more.

Although it's been a way cooler reward to tackle my reading list -- aka too many books over-flowing from my shelving and tucked on top of my dresser. So I'm narrowing it down and going to review a bunch of them as I hack through them. A Sony E-reader helped make the transition and eventually I'll find enough stuff from the library to download instead. More on that later.

Next was my agenda book as the year wrapped up and I needed a new one. Got a new cellphone (2nd hand) which has windows mobile on it and the task list and calendar reminder alerts are golden when so busy. My palm-pilot got me through a year of journalism school but proved to die too fast in the cold to be a reliable time piece. So I'll find out how the Motorola Q does. Funny enough I'm still using the 'palm-pilot' of writing on my hand since I can't use my cell-phone at work meh.

Lastly was getting through the musical theatre commitment that was been going on for the past few months. Titanic: the Musical set sail on January 13th and I got to relax finally. Went into high gear and got so much errands done for last minute deliveries of dry-cleaning, seamstress alterations, random stuff like dozens of batteries for wireless microphones and everything else. The car odometer hit 500km in a week but it was worth it. Both production manager and costumer designer, who are both dear friends and asked so much but I was happy to do my small part to get the show on. More on that later about patterns in life and sewing. Through the planning and execution of said plans, the amount I was able to get done on top of editing the wedding photos and university opera productions to the point where I'm like just get everything else into high gear.

SO there ya go.... if you're keeping track, I'm getting way better at keeping track of what I want to get done. yay for Mondays.... stay tuned for more to come. As the radio dj on beloved CBC radio 2 pointed out, two weeks in, the new years resolutions are still good and in a week the three week habits will set in.

Soon to follow this weekend will be eReader vs books, sewing & life patterns, cellphones, photo-shoots as well as a bit of health and world events reflections, a trip from my old archives and some other editorials. It'll be a heck of a January issue. Thanks for reading and peace-out.

-- PLR --

No comments:

Post a Comment