Monday 31 January 2011

v-day approaches so learn from the past

Now for something more light-hearted. Valentine's day cometh and that strikes terror to the hearts of singles and men everywhere. Once upon a time I wrote a cheeky guide for my slightly gothy girl and she loved it. Now I write for the nursing student I do love and adore.



As my sweetie Sharon does read this, I apologize if I got stuff wrong, but it's how I remember stuff. As I'm predictable at times, I have no intentions of giving away any surprises for this V-day. But as tech school grad, I do have the experience to recount what has and hasn't worked over the years when in college.


Writing and giving a poem to a girl I had a crush on? Win.

Finding out she was hoping to date someone else? Worst fail of high-school.

Found out she kept the poem on her wall for years when the other date didn't turn out. Win.

Finding out that knowledge years later in college when I'm already dating someone else? Fail. But no regrets.

Writing a poem for a girl I had a crush on in my college newspaper column while single? Win. Having her friends laugh at me as she walked away indecisively blushing? Fail. Thankfully I had developed a thicker skin by then.

Making brownies? Win. Almost burning them while making out? Fail. Asking Sharon to marry me? WIN three years ago; Hence why brownies were forgotten. Tie game.

Romantic dinner out in Banff? Win. Not making reservations? Fail with bonus round of searching out a restaurant where someone else's reservations fell through. Win. Taking her to the fudge shop afterward? Win.

Feeding on fudge and giggles followed by wine & cheese while watching romance of Mask of Zorro? Absolute win.

Cooking pasta for fancy dinner? Fail if it's a staple student meal.

Cooking grilled fish with white sauce & rosemary? Win.

Roses? Win. Farts? Fail.

Dancing in the kitchen spontaneously? Win.

Asking to go out for Karaoke? Fail. Singing on voicemail? Win.

Taking her to Bedouin Soundclash or the ballet? Win.

Most recently last year.... going out to a look-out point, in the dead of winter -30C with windchill, for a dance atop the hill? Chattering teeth fail. Having her cuddle up with me to warm up? Tie game,

Getting stuck waiting at the train tracks for the freight train on the way to the hilltop and feeding each other A&W fries? Win.

Calculating the number of miles I've walked just to see her? Biggest kiss of a win.

Doing Sharon's laundry or dishes on occasion and helping her with studying? Win.

Bringing coffee and a pastry or her A&W take-out favourite, a mozza mama burger, for supper when she's bogged down with research essays? Win.

Listening to her rant about worries on skype when apart and missing each other? Win.

Lads, the point of the dates is in the efforts. Girls don't really care what you do, as long as you put some logical thought into it to make it memorable. It isn't in the huge date plans made last minute or weeks in advance, it's in spontaneous stuff and the small stuff done weekly, like maintenance on your car checking the oil, listening to her requests. So learn from past mistakes and give it another shot. Cheers to that awesome date on V-day. But make it happen all year around and if she's worth it, it'll be a keeper. Good hunting.

-- PLR --

No comments:

Post a Comment