Thursday 5 May 2011

Rocket Fuel for the Mind


Barely awake some mornings, everyone seems to have their favourite reboot. Not for one for routine, I decided to see which wake-ups worked best for comparison.

As I work in customer service, I need to hit the floor running and thinking.

Usually my brain protests until 10AM so I tend to resort to some conventional and unorthodox methods if I need to get up earlier.

Matcha green tea - epic brain spark-plug ignition... Ten minutes later I'm running top-speed mentally. In fact anything exotic from Tea-opia is amazing but I can't really afford their stuff yet. Weirdly de-caffeinated green tea is absolutely amazing for the long haul I've found but other stuff works too.

Shot of Cappuccino - cherished  hang-over remedy. Takes a little longer to kick in but erases it better than Gatorade. Thank-you Italian barristers.

Water - un-spectacular, but effective too. Moistens up the vocal chords and splashes the face mentally. H2O simplicity.

Sparkling or non-alcoholic orange or cranberry juice - something in it just sparkles and wakes things up so fast. Yay for citrus.

Cookies! okay so not the best thing for breakfast, but in a rush, nothing wrong with a shot of chocolate and sugary fun.

Hemp seeds - high in protein and omega oils. No, they're not going to get you high so don't even imagine trying to smoke the non-bud. Hemp seeds sure have a lot of energy in them though.

Exercise - gets the blood and adrenalin flowing, Sit-ups, push-ups, or yoga stretches, it's awesome. Commuting in traffic on a bike is a whole other story for another day.

Orange Pekoe / English Breakfast / Oolong Tea - if it's black, it's stronger than some coffee. Irish blends are still my favourite.

Oddly after finding out how much sugar there was in an energy drink, Coke, Jolt, Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Monster, Rock-Star, stuff with straight B12 and Yerba in it... etc. I haven't really drank many more. They got me through long days of college assignments and photography, yet for what it does to the body, not worth it afterwards for the delayed burn-out.

Coffee - Timmy's sets a standard, but I cannot imagine the XL amount; Star Bucks is yummy; Second Cup has some really nice blends too. Even McDonalds is surprisingly good; Mac's 7-11 and Denny's are engine de-greaser but keeps the mind going.

Currently, Kicking Horse and Good Earth win with me. Forget triple espresso, there's a Good Earth drink called a High Test. Take an Americano and throw a couple of shots of espresso in it. EPIC but I don't drink them often. Making double shot of Kicking Horse at home is amazing.

Which is where this really is heading. Apparently even a new study found out people who are up later and sleep in later are more at risk of heart disease, obesity and not having any fun later in life or somewhat grumpier than early birds.

So other than long haul truck drivers, business-people, and students, it's all in moderation. Apparently guidelines of 3-4 cups of coffee or 6-7 cups of tea or something are the max a person should drink as I remember it. Those ruddy energy drinks are recommended to not be more than one per day but I've seen jittery friends on their 2-3 shots. Either way, caffeinated stuff is diuretic in a bad way aka dehydration so add a liter or two to your intake of simple H2O so necessary to survival.

Whatever the rocket fuel ignition.... take care of the body by getting enough sleep in the first place and getting stuff done before it's late at night. On that note, I'm off to sleep.

--PLR--

No comments:

Post a Comment