Friday 17 June 2011

Happy Accident Involving a Skillet - Quiche

No I didn't smash someone with a skillet to avoid emo music. Everything I make in my skillet is an adventure for my poor room-mates to taste. It looks hap-hazard but looks are deceiving. The fish & chips fire is another story for another day. Cornbread is awesome as well. Originally for campfires and hunting orcs (yes that's a lego character of a famous Hobbit sidekick. 


Taking a break from blogging -- first time in too long that I've spent all day writing. Chilling with fridge door open, I needed  something quick and yummy! Quiche Lorraine -- whoever she is. Being a bit of an accomplished baker, I treat cook-books as guidelines. This time a quick look around the internets provided proof I might have come up with another original.






My standard issue to die for biscuit recipe works for pie/pizza crusts too.


Will re-post that recipe separately, I'll say I learned the hard way why I might invest some time into learning to bake a crust blind to weigh it down, or use less dough, but whatever happened, the crust puffed up real good. Fortunately it settled a bit when it cooked but was still a solid 1/2" thick.

Modified Quiche Recipe from several recipe ideas


1 pound of pastry, pre-baked in skillet
1/2 cup ham or cooked bacon
5 eggs, beaten up like nerds
1 cup heavy cream or sour cream + 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheese
whatever spices work to suit your taste. Nutmeg, garlic, Italian seasoning etc


It smelled a-maze-ing! So waiting for the pastry to pre-bake 10 min and then another 25 min with mix in.


Anyhow, puffed up pastry aside, Quiche Lorraine is pretty easy. Had canned ham in fridge so I chopped it up fine to substitute bacon and threw it on the pre-baked risen biscuits in the skillet.


Determined to make Quiche I threw in 5 eggs and lacking heavy cream, I used sour cream with some milk to thin it out. As it was sour I added some sugar -- a bit too much because it was a tad, um sweet.


It's taking a while to cook.... almost done and looks awesome. So apparently you can modify a Quiche with bannock and somewhere in the middle you have a Phil-original.



The crust was pretty solid but had a bit of fluffiness to it as I'm finding it to toast crust outside just right totally different from glass or tin plates.


My room-mate and I were either too hungry or like Quiche Loraine too much to care and it worked out pretty yummy.


Stay tuned for more cooking fun.
-- PLR --


p.s. I bravely eat most every experiment so I'm careful to take sound cooking logic and chemistry, but live boldly in the kitchen, there's no telling what amazing thing you might come up with!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try! Love M

    ReplyDelete