Wednesday 27 July 2011

my very own desk and taxi driving

That's right... I took a photo of my desk that I thought I'd have to sleep under it eventually, plus it's exciting to finally be at home in a news-room office.

Maybe I should explain a news reporter's desk and by far my mine isn't half as messy or completely stocked as it should be, but after all I'm just interning in different towns for now. At least I have my stock of licorice and other snacks.

Having been in a bunch of offices, I do have a number of desk arrangements from old type-writer tables to tiny desks and from being scrunched in the corner to taking over the editor's office while she was on holiday. I'll have to dig up the other photos so more to come on that. Life of intern....

Just to clarify, no, I didn't eat peanut butter by the sporkful. It just happened to be there and my favourite weapon/spork was for the Ichiban noodles.

The peanut butter was to go with the loaf of bread I tore through for snacking and to have with microwaveable meals -- for the record lean cuisine meals are much tastier than I expected and almost home-cooking.

There's not too much extra time to escape for lunch unless it's on the way from a photo assignment or interview so I spent my afternoons editing photos, writing stories and snacking.

The stack of paper behind my laptop was press releases and drafts of articles needing corrections. Getting everything done was was an interesting balancing act of eating loving what I was doing and praying I could get'ter all done somewhere near deadline.


So I followed my editor's lead as we slid on headphones and typed away until we started to see fuzzy and yell back and forth weird and funny at the time comments: about stories we were writing; questions to the cruel editing gods of why photos didn't fit or quotes didn't make sense; really question why we were there instead of sleeping.... good times!

Learning tons as I'm writing and starting to get back into the rhythm of writing and nailing off 4x's as much stuff as I had to do in j-school and loving it.

I'm tired, lonely, and grateful for the opportunity, still writing too late with exhausted fingers and back.... trying to figure out a dozen interviews into stories and still loving it,

Didn't do it for the money nor the honeys nor the sweet salary. Doing it for the people who need their stories told and ain't doing it for free finally. Satisfied in seeing by-lines and people wanting to help in their community so keep assignments coming, I'm loving what I'm doing and where I wanna be living the dream

Did I mention I got to drive around a golf course looking for photos during an amateur golf tournament? And get paid? It's like driving a taxi with no sea sick clientele in the back! I love driving on the clock from interview to photo op and back to office. Keeping on my toes and planning out my own day, good times.

So that was my Saturday morning work assignment, cruising in a golf cart ^_^ Made up for the insane amount of hours writing happy and depressing stuff and editing all sorts of photos. All worth it and all paying my dues to the industry so I can earn my press badge. And no I still refuse to take a normal self-portrait right-side up -- too cool and original for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment